Screen recordings can be used for various async communications & to save time, document processes & create a library of assets that can be quickly reviewed by your team.
Let’s talk about different creative ways to leverage screen recording for your business.
We will discuss the type of video screen recorder software you should consider to help you reach your business goals. Also, we’re going to discuss how to use screen recording to improve company processes
What is a good screen recorder?
A good screen recorder software has a simple interface and user-friendly features. It will load fast and not lag when recording the screen.
It also comes with useful guidelines for your preferred device, e.g. guidelines on how to record your screen on a Mac, how to blur, how to trim the video etc.
Some screen recorders can also capture a part of the screen that isn’t dependent on the window you’re currently in. Depending on your business needs and the operating system used you may need to record screen on Windows PC vs a Mac and understand the nuances.
Business Use Cases for Screen Recording
The best ways to use a screen recording tool is for a-sync communication for internal teams, or sharing ideas and processes for team training, freelancer & agency collab, process documentation and description, demo videos
Internal Team Training
One of the most effective ways to utilize a screen recording tool is for asynchronous communication within internal teams. By capturing and sharing screen recordings, team members can easily convey complex ideas, demonstrate processes, or provide step-by-step instructions without the need for real-time interaction. This method allows team members to review the content at their own pace, ensuring clarity and understanding.
Moreover, screen recordings can serve as valuable training resources, enabling new team members to learn and familiarize themselves with various tasks and workflows. Ultimately, the use of screen recording tools for asynchronous communication enhances collaboration, efficiency, and knowledge sharing within internal teams.
The benefits of Async communication are:
- Avoiding repetition: There’s no need for the people performing the training to repeat themselves when processes are repeatable. Teach via screen recording for time-saving & repeatable systems, and they can simply share the video of what they’ve done.
- Better resource management: With the previous advantage in mind, there’s no need to use your resources or pay more than you’re supposed to for someone to only conduct training. You can manage it better, and use screen recordings for repeating lessons.
- Faster onboarding: There’s no need to set up a meeting on any collaboration software or in person because the employees will be able to watch knowledge transfer videos, i.e. screen recordings that are available on your cloud.
Collaboration With Freelancers
A screen recording tool can prove to be an invaluable asset when it comes to collaborating with freelancers. By utilizing this tool, project managers and team members can easily share their screens to provide clear instructions, demonstrate specific tasks, or showcase project progress.
This method ensures that freelancers have a visual reference and a comprehensive understanding of the project requirements, reducing the chances of miscommunication. Additionally, screen recordings can serve as documentation for future reference, allowing freelancers to refer back to specific instructions or project details.
This level of collaboration fosters a productive and efficient working relationship, ensuring that freelancers are equipped with the necessary information and resources to deliver high-quality work. The use of screen recording tools for collaboration with freelancers promotes transparency, enhances communication, and streamlines project workflows.
SOP & Processes Videos
To scale any business, you need to create and document repeatable systems to have the ability to grow.
The problem with written processes is that things can change and a quick screen recording will be easier to update the SOP & documentation vs docs.
So, when a new process comes along in your organization, and you still want to achieve business success, screen recording is going to help you do it fast.
It will prevent you from having your founder, owner or human resources person needing to do multiple sessions showing how something new should be done, and your employees will adapt to the process much easier and faster. But, there are things to consider:
- Questions: When you record your screen for SOP & documents, watch the video and try to think about the questions someone might ask you after that process description.
Put yourself in their shoes, list all the answers, and record again.
- Feedback: Have a group of people initially look at the screen recording before distributing it company-wide or to the designated team. Their feedback might make you reconsider recording the screen again.
- Mistakes: It’s a great practice to purposefully make mistakes while screen recording a process so that the people watching it in the future can know how to handle similar situations.
Reasons to Incorporate a Screen Recording Tool in Your Tech Stack:
- Efficient Communication: A screen recording tool enables efficient communication within teams and with external stakeholders. It allows for clear explanations, demonstrations, and instructions, reducing the chances of miscommunication and saving time.
- Enhanced Collaboration: By sharing screen recordings, team members can collaborate effectively, regardless of their physical location. This fosters teamwork, improves project outcomes, and boosts overall productivity.
- Simplified Training: Screen recordings serve as valuable training resources, especially for onboarding new employees or freelancers. They provide a visual reference for learning complex tasks or processes and can be revisited anytime, ensuring consistent training.
- Improved Feedback and Review Process: Screen recordings make it easier for stakeholders to provide feedback on specific tasks or projects. They can review the recordings at their own pace, providing detailed and constructive feedback, leading to better results.
- Documentation and Knowledge Sharing: Screen recordings can serve as a documentation tool, capturing important project details and processes. They can be shared across teams, ensuring knowledge transfer and preserving valuable information for future reference.
Q: How can a screen recording tool benefit remote teams?
A: A screen recording tool facilitates seamless communication among remote teams. It allows team members to share their screens, demonstrate work progress, and collaborate effectively, irrespective of their physical location.
Q: Can screen recordings be used for customer support?
A: Yes, screen recordings can be an excellent resource for customer support. They enable support agents to visually guide customers through troubleshooting steps, demonstrating solutions, and resolving issues efficiently.
Q: Are screen recordings secure?
A: Most screen recording tools offer security features such as encryption and access controls. It is important to choose a reputable tool and follow best practices to ensure the privacy and security of your recordings.
Q: Can screen recordings be edited or annotated?
A: Yes, many screen recording tools provide editing and annotation features. These allow users to highlight specific areas, add text or graphics, and edit recordings to create more engaging and informative content.
Q: How can screen recordings improve collaboration with freelancers?
A: Screen recordings enable project managers and freelancers to have clear communication and visual reference. They can share project requirements, demonstrate specific tasks, and provide feedback, leading to better collaboration and outcomes.